Travis Rebel News

Filed under Sports

The history of golf proves it is worthy of “sport status”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Desiree Perez, sophomore swings away as she looks down the fairway at the Girls Varsity Tournament at the Colovista Golf Course in Bastrop November 15.

By by Gisel Alvarez, Photographer/Videographer

Many skeptics believe that golf is not a sport, but I am here to say that those skeptics do not truly understand golf.  Golf is a sport for gentlemen and women; the sport takes years of physical and mental training to master; it is not easy.  As I walk the halls of Travis, I hear people say that golf is not a sport. Let me inform you otherwise. 

According to the Merriam Webster Unabridged Dictionary, a sport is “a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.”

Golf completely matches these criteria. Many people think golf is not a sport because, “it’s not physically challenging”, but a study done by British Medical Journal found that golf uses at least 17 different muscle groups in the coordinated movement of the hands, wrists, arms, abdomen, and legs. Not to mention the fact that golf often requires walking around in the heat carrying 50 pounds of equipment, and putting your whole body into a swing without brakes for hours in one tournament.

A big reason golf is a sport is for the simple fact that it is in the Olympics. According to The International Olympic Committee, golf is not only a sport but one of the oldest sports there is, as stated on their official website.

Golf is undoubtedly one of the oldest existing codified sports. Indeed, it was in the city of St Andrews in Scotland that the first rules were established in 1754.” And it’s not just the Olympics that know golf is a sport; Major sporting good manufacturers, sponsors, sports agents, and college and university athletic departments all classify golf as a sport.

Another reason the sport is a sport and not a game is because professional golfers are considered professional athletes by mainstream media. Tiger Woods, a professional golfer, is the richest athlete in history.

About the Writer
Blayce Woodward, Sports Editor

Age? 17

Grade? Junior

Born? Dallas, TX

What do you like about being on this newspaper staff? 

What have you learned being on the newspaper staff? 

What are your future plans? 

What are your hobbies? I like music. It's cool.

Organizations in which you are involved in? I'm in AV production, Tennis, Golf, Newspaper and the Drum Line.