Travis Rebel News

Spiking To The Next Level

Varsity volleyball senior, Krishonna Jones, commits to Iowa Lakes Community College

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spiking To The Next Level

Krishonna Jones, Senior

Krishonna Jones, Senior

By Gisel Alvarez

Krishonna Jones, Senior

By Gisel Alvarez

By Gisel Alvarez

Krishonna Jones, Senior

By Paige Sexton, Sports Editor

Varsity volleyball senior, Krishonna Jones, 5’10” middle blocker and outside hitter, signed with Iowa Lakes Community College in Estherville, Iowa to play volleyball where she will receive a full athletic scholarship.

Jones said this is a hard-earned reward for all the years of sweat and tears spent perfecting her athletic skills.

“I am super excited to have the opportunity to continue my volleyball career post-high school,” she said. “This gives me the chance to continue developing my skills, and hopefully, enough to compete for university-level afterward.”

Jones, a four-year varsity starter at Travis High, said volleyball has been her life and she intends to take her skills to each next level.

As a Travis High freshman and sophomore, she earned second-team All-District, and her junior and senior years, she earned first-team All-District. This year, as a senior, she was named District Most Valuable Hitter.

Iowa Lakes Head Volleyball Coach, Hunter Porter, said Jones will be an asset to the 2018-2019 Laker’s team.

“We are excited to add Jones to our roster,” Hunter said. “She is very athletic, hits a heavy ball, has great vertical and high contact point when attacking the ball.”

Jones said she is looking forward to being part of a winning team next year as she has been at Travis High.

About the Contributors
Paige Sexton, Sports Editor

Age? 18

Grade? 12th

Born? Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

What do you like about being on Newspaper staff? Being on this staff we get to be nosy and we literally know or find out everything .

What have you learned, being on the Newspaper staff? The newspaper staff has made me view me view things differently, like I want to know more about things. I've learned to ask more questions.

What are your future plans? My future plan is to at least to have one of the best stories on the staff by the time I graduate. But as a graduate I'm majoring in business management, that's always been my goal.

What are your hobbies? On my free time I love playing Volleyball or going to watch football games.

Organizations in which you are involved in? Newspaper staff and Club Volleyball.

Gisel Alvarez, Photography Editor

Age? 17

Grade? 12th

Born? Austin, TX.

What do you like about being on the Newspaper staff? Seeing the world through a camera lens truly gives me a unique perspective on people, their emotions and why they do what they do. A photojournalist is in constant pursuit of capturing that one moment in time that tells a story through pictures; they are worth a thousand words. A picture of a basketball player's face with sweat dripping down his cheeks with a grimacing look while doing a layup during a close game tells the story of his determination, his physical struggle and his desire to win; a story that can only be told through a picture.

What have you learned, being on Newspaper staff?  I have learned to look beyond someone's words. I look for their actions and their emotions to bring a story to an audience that only can be told with pictures.

What are your future plans?  My...