Travis Rebel News

Mo’ Math, Mo’ Money

Local hip-hop artist uses Rebel talent and films music video at Travis High

courtesy of Mo' Math Mo' Money™ by Elle G © 2017 BMI

Hip-Hop+Artist+SaulPaul+shared+his+educational+experiences+with+Travis+Rebel+seniors+at+CTX+Signing+Day+at+Concordia+University+in+May.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mo’ Math, Mo’ Money

Hip-Hop Artist SaulPaul shared his educational experiences with Travis Rebel seniors at CTX Signing Day at Concordia University in May.

By Gisel Alvarez

By Gisel Alvarez

By Gisel Alvarez

By Blayce Woodward, Sports Editor

“Knowledge has the power to help us avoid making bad choices that produce bad results,” Zig Ziglar, Texas native and motivational speaker, once said. Two Austin rappers, SaulPaul and G. Galindo, took those words to heart when they joined forces with a local charity, Math Matters, to encourage Austin-area students, via an original rap video, to think of knowledge as power and with power comes money.

The charity’s message is that students who successfully complete advanced math courses will be more likely to attend and complete a college degree, therefore, placing them in a better position for their future.

Their music video,”Mo’ Math, Mo’ Money,” released this month, was shot entirely at Travis High and featured two juniors, Brandon Herrmann and Tre’Neil Williams.

SaulPaul said that the best way to encourage young people and get this message to them through conversation, and there is no better way than through a rap song.

“What we want young people to get from this is to recognize that math matters, just like the name of the campaign. The fact is, mo’ math … mo’ money — it’s really that simple,” he said..

SaulPaul says getting kids involved in the conversation is the only way to reach out to other teens and middle school kids and get them to enroll in advanced math classes.

“It’s not just that math matters, it’s that math is everything,” SaulPaul said. “Math is everywhere; it’s not just a class, it’s not just a subject, math is money.”

About the Contributors
Blayce Woodward, Sports Editor

Age? 17

Grade? Junior

Born? Dallas, TX

What do you like about being on this newspaper staff? 

What have you learned being on the newspaper staff? 

What are your future plans? 

What are your hobbies? I like music. It's cool.

Organizations in which you are involved in? I'm in AV production, Tennis, Golf, Newspaper and the Drum Line.

Gisel Alvarez, Photography Editor

Age? 17

Grade? 12th

Born? Austin, TX.

What do you like about being on the Newspaper staff? Seeing the world through a camera lens truly gives me a unique perspective on people, their emotions and why they do what they do. A photojournalist is in constant pursuit of capturing that one moment in time that tells a story through pictures; they are worth a thousand words. A picture of a basketball player's face with sweat dripping down his cheeks with a grimacing look while doing a layup during a close game tells the story of his determination, his physical struggle and his desire to win; a story that can only be told through a picture.

What have you learned, being on Newspaper staff?  I have learned to look beyond someone's words. I look for their actions and their emotions to bring a story to an audience that only can be told with pictures.

What are your future plans?  My...