Travis Rebel News

Filed under News

Travis Rebel Expo 2018

Travis high showcases what it has to offer current, future students

Travis high showcased its variety of student programs at its annual expo event, TREX, Saturday, January 20 from 9 a.m. to noon.

Curriculum Director, Christina Hantgin, said the event offers students, families, future students and the public an opportunity learn about the academic programs, clubs, organizations and athletic programs.

“Our Travis High family is proud of the wealth of student opportunities available to not only our current students but the future students who will be attending,” she said. “We work hard to provide students a way to realize their best potential through the many programs that create interests.”

Similar to a business trade show, kiosks were set up in hallways, corridors, the cafeteria, the gym, the theatre and the library.

Among a few kiosks, the social studies department provided information on not only the core curriculum courses but also featured the new Ethnic Studies course offered this school year. The foreign language, art and A/V production departments showed off current student work, while other departments offered visitors an interactive experience in the TriLab, forensic science lab and culinary arts kitchen.

The early college high school program provided information regarding its registration and deadlines. Austin Community College, Texas A&M University, The Universtiy of Texas and Texas State University recruiters were also available.

Other student programs offered live student performances showcasing student talents. The Travis Rebel Band Drumline and the Rebelettes dance team paraded the halls and both groups performed individually in the cafeteria while the Guitar Ensemble students were positioned throughout the building playing acoustic guitars.

Student reporters and photographers from both the yearbook staff, The Round Up, and the newspaper staff, Travis Rebel News, covered the event. The Travis Rebel News staff set up a giant chair for novelty pictures.

School partners, Waterloo water and Taco Cabana handed out free samples.

About the Contributors
Louise Coy, Student Life Editor

Age? 17

Grade? 12th

Born? Austin, TX

What do you like about being on the newspaper staff? I like that i can go out and interview students here at Travis and learned more about them and their stories.

What have you learned being on the newspaper staff? I've learned that it's a lot more work than I thought but it's really fun.

What are your future plans?  My plan is to go to law school or try out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheer team.

What are your hobbies? Dancing.

Organizations in which you are involved in? Rebelettes, newspaper staff and health science.

Gisel Alvarez, Photography Editor

Age? 17

Grade? 12th

Born? Austin, TX.

What do you like about being on the Newspaper staff? Seeing the world through a camera lens truly gives me a unique perspective on people, their emotions and why they do what they do. A photojournalist is in constant pursuit of capturing that one moment in time that tells a story through pictures; they are worth a thousand words. A picture of a basketball player's face with sweat dripping down his cheeks with a grimacing look while doing a layup during a close game tells the story of his determination, his physical struggle and his desire to win; a story that can only be told through a picture.

What have you learned, being on Newspaper staff?  I have learned to look beyond someone's words. I look for their actions and their emotions to bring a story to an audience that only can be told with pictures.

What are your future plans?  My...