Travis Rebel News

OUR HOUSE

After-school program offers Travis students workshops, activities, support, leadership

By Priscila Trejo, Voices Editor

A new, free after-school youth program offers Travis students activities and workshops through December 7.

OUR HOUSE, sponsored by a new non-profit, Austin Youth Leadership and Counseling, kicked off September 9 and is open to anyone who wishes to participate.

OUR HOUSE meets Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Luthern Church, 1711 E. Oltorf, across the IH 35 bridge from Travis.

Tuesdays feature Youth In Action, a workshop which focuses on healthy relationships, job skills and college prep.

Wednesdays hosts Barrio Writers which is a writing workshop with discussions on high-interest readings.

Thursdays, workshop topics are photography, music and arts.

Life coaches will also be available for counseling with depression, anger management, parent/child relationships and self-help.

Dr. Steve Larson, a Austin-area family therapist and counselor who heads this effort, said his main goal is to reach out to the Travis students and provide services that will enhance lives.

“Our goal is to offer a ‘safe place’ for students to go after school,” he said. “Many teens are often neglected, abandoned, homeless, abused or thrown out of their homes.”

The goal, he said, is to give students the chance to gather, simply talk and develop relationships through games, sports, music, art and writing.

He is also requesting that interested students who want to commit to a 12-hour per month, paid fellowship to serve as peer leaders for the program apply. Students can pick up an application from the newspaper staff, room 714.

For further information, contact: [email protected], call (512)554-7356 or stop by the church.